Previously known as the Young Groves Youth Club, The Management Committee decided in early 2010 to close the club and carry out some much needed refurbishment to the premises. They decided to appoint a full time leader and to recruit additional staff and voluntary workers, re-engaging the community and young people.
We wanted to improve the way the space was used, to make it more flexible and to change the environment to reflect the present needs and demands of young people.
In February 2011, we opened the doors to any young person who wanted to attend either of the two, free consultation evenings with a variety of taster activities. This provided an opportunity for children and young people and their families to have their say and for us to find out what were their likely expectations. Following the results of the consultation, we officially re-opened in March 2011 with the new name ‘Door 84’.
The Buildings have had a variety of uses over the years, ranging from a Children’s home in the 1930’s, to an Army barracks. They were acquired in the 1970’s by the forerunner ‘The York Boys’ Club’.
You can view our Policies and Procedures here